The Activity name is the basis against which you log your time. The Activity's setting determines the timesheet format and any special calculations applied to time recorded. In addition, the Activity name is assigned an access level to control user access.
To make it easier for you to get started, a basic set of typical Activity accounts have been preinstalled, which you should check and adjust to your needs.
To set up Activity accounts for your needs, please check the following information as a guide:
1) Are there different time logging requirements for your workforce based on the employment profile (for example, office staff vs. field service)? > option to create "roles".
2) Should time logged support billing of customer or project work? should time recorded be processed downstream? > option to create "groups".
3) Should only attendance be recorded ie. proof of attendance according to labor law? > option to use the default Activity named "At work" or similar.
4) Is there a Flexwork model in your company? is home office enabled? > option to create a general account named "Home Office".
5) Can accumulated overtime be compensated in the form of leisure or paid out? > following options for leisure compensation; a) do not log a timesheet on the compensation date, which results in a negative balance or b) create a general Activity named "Overtime reduction" which is set to not count against plan hours thus creating a negative balance for that day. When paying for overtime, use the overtime adjustment features within Terms of Employment section (manage users). This will generate an adjustment entry inserted into the mobile app and included in the reports.
6) Is there late-shift, on-call duty and weekend work with special rates? > option to create a general Activity name like "on-call duty", "Late shift", "WE work" configured with an hourly factor. NB: the Terms of Employment will be extended with a Daily conditions section to add applicable rates in an upcoming update.
7) Are external staff employed? Is an hourly payroll required? > option to set job type to 'Freelancer' in the Terms of employment section which deactivates weekly plan hours and vacation monitoring. If required, a separate Activity account, e.g. "Hourly wage" can be created whereby the amount field is configured with an hourly rate.
8) Should specific absences be monitored (for example, illness, seminars, etc.)? > option to create additional Activity account that are set up as an absence type.
9) Should breaks be recorded beyond lunch? > option to run timekeeping in real time using the timer method. In the "Defaults" menu, select the "Fast Check-In" activity name (default: At Work) and use the check-in / check-out feature in the mobile app. Also check the "Increments" and rounding setting (for example, 1 min vs. 5 mins increments rounded up or down).
10) Do additional regulations from trade unions or other authorities of your industry have to be taken into account? > Please discuss your further requirements with us.
We suggest you do a baseline configuration as follows:
- Simple attendance time management for all employees. Input using the general Activity named 'At work'. The recording takes place in real time (with continuous check-in and check-out) via the mobile app menu 'Check in' or the working time can be recorded manually via the page 'Daily Activities'. The plan time defined in the Terms of employment section builds the daily and weekly balances. Working days that have not been recorded will be valued with a negative daily balance until they are logged or the Terms of employment is adjusted (see Manage Users).
- Absences: this generally refers to paid absences which count as a working day. Vacation: this is managed separately in the Terms of employment section including annual leave allotment. Use the predefined account 'Out sick' for reference when creating additional Activity names. Absences are normally set up as full day leaves. Absences are recorded via the app dialog "Absences". All Activity names of type 'Absence' are available for selection in that dialog. Vacation absences can be recorded using the same dialog as full or half days.
- Public Holidays: a basic set of public paid holidays is preinstalled. These are not managed at the employee level. Therefore it is important to adapt them to regional specifics. If employees are entitled to different holidays, the employee can delete the holiday in the app or enter a corresponding absence separately. If work is subject to special rates, an appropriate Activity name can be created (e.g., holiday work) and set up with an increased hourly rate.
- Weekend work / night work: the setting up of hourly supplements in the employment profile is currently in progress (employment profile: Daily condition supplements). Until we launch this feature, we recommend alternative Activity accounts be set up configured with special rates and used by the staff.
Creating an Activity account
Please click on the menu Manage Activities.
Initially you are presented with a list of preinstalled accounts (defaults) as illustrated:
Click on the name of one of the Activity account or create a new Activity name by clicking on "Add Activity" and you get into the detail view as follows:
In the detail view, you can define the Activity account with 8 different configuration settings. On the right side, take note of the mobile phone's screen which simulates the Activity's setting. The settings are as follows:
- Name: Name of the Activity account as it appears for selection.
- Level: regulates access to this account. A distinction is made between the following areas: General area for all users. Role only visible to employees of a department or team. Group area for employees who assign their services to customers and projects.
- Apply against Planned: yes / no. Generally Yes for logging of paid working time. As "no" for overtime reduction or compensation, for non-paid absence or for work which should not count towards the balances.
- Breaktime input: yes / no. Enables a flat value field. The value is deducted from the total working hours. Default value possible. Any default value can be updated in the mobile app.
- Amount field: yes / no. If yes, enable a field with a fixed amount or apply the calculation per hourly rate. Hourly rate calculates the amount based on total working hours. The amount field can be edited in the mobile app. Calculated values can be overwritten.
- Time entry format: radio button. Choose whether to record the time log with start and end time or as a fixed amount (lump sum).
- Hourly rate multiplier: numerical value from 0.001 to 9,999. Set to 1.000 by default. The time logged is multiplied by this factor. For special rates for weekend work, late shift and on-call service, a dedicated Activity name with an hourly rate is recommended.
- Own account: yes / no. If yes, the hourly value in the detail report is maintained under a separate column named 'Own account'. Will not count towards plan. Recommended for special activities which should not appear in the usual reports.
- Absence Activity: yes / no. If yes, used to record paid absences. Listed in the Absences dialog of the mobile app.
Still not sure? please contact us. We are happy to help.