Each staff must be set up with a terms of employment in order to start working with Staff Times. To set up the employee, switch to the "Manage Users" menu as shown in this illustration:
Create the employment profile for your user. You will be guided through the following screens:
Please note the following explanations for the above screens:
1) Employee detail
Details about your user. Please note: the email ID forms part of the user login and cannot be changed later. During the test phase, we recommend using a fictitious user who can be removed later using "Cancel" or "Expire".
2) Set terms of employment
Defines the start of the time tracking period, the job type, hiring quota, working week, vacation allotment and any overtime transfer as follows:
- Job role: the default value is 'Various'. You can define additional names from the menu 'Manage Roles' and update your input. The reports will allow you to select your time logs by Job role. Also check the separate guide for groups & roles.
- Tracking mode: choose from full time, part time, basic and inactive. Once defined, the tracking type can only be changed by creating a new term. Please note: for type Basic, these are considered to be hourly wagers where no leave management exists and no working week is defined. Type Inactive will restrict user input from the period defined. This type is recommended for long term leaves such as maternity or sabbatical. Find out more about our Product Features
- Period Start: this refers to the start date of time tracking or the hiring date. Annual leave allotment will be pro-rated based on this date and displayed on right half of the screen (vacation entitlement). The calculated leave entitlement can be adjusted in the section 'Vacation Setting'.
- Financial year end: marks the end date of the current business year. Please note: at the end of each year a transfer of the remaining balance together with the new annual leave is set up in the new financial year. To initiate the Carry-Over, a corresponding button will appear in the manage users list view at the start of the new year.
3) Working week setting
Set the agreed working days and the daily plan time for your staff. Please tick the boxes accordingly. For part-time work, adjust the weekly plan quota in % which will update the daily plan hours evenly across the ticked working days. If your staff has a variable weekly plan please consult the variable working week documentation. For part time please see further separate instructions.
4a) Vacation setting
The annual leave allotment is calculated based on the tracking mode (full or part-time) and term start date (pro-rated). Refer to the vacation calculator on the top right of the screen (illustration 2). To adjust the default calculated leave, you can either adjust the start date range or override the allotted value by reducing or increasing the value using the adjustment selector. A change log (audit trail) is created at the bottom of the page when you complete the terms which you can view when you return to this page in edit mode. Check the vacation quota document for more detail.
4b) Overtime handling
The accumulated overtime hours of the previous period are carried over into the new year. When setting up for the first time, we recommend entering the employee's current overtime balance as the starting balance using the adjustment selector provided.
5) Set timesheet locks
This will lock the time logs recorded by the employee into read-only access at the defined time, so that historic data remains unchanged.
6) Assigning a group
The employee is given access to select groups and associated Activity names. This can later be updated or supplemented. Time tracking reports can be filtered by groups. To know more please check the guide on Roles & Groups.
7) Save and Publish
The previously configured screens are listed in this section for final review. When saving, an email invite with credentials are sent to the employee. As an administrator, you will receive a copy of the email.
Carry over process
The employment term will transfer into the new year as per the end of the financial year. This means that the vacation balances are calculated and the remaining vacation is added to new vacation bank for the new year. You may initiate this process using the Carryover button which appear at the beginning of the new year in the manage user's list. Staff Times will remind you in due time.
Change of tracking mode
If the employment terms such as quota level (e.g. going from full to part-time) should change or going from contractor to permanent staff (ie. Type Basic to Full-Time) should change during the term, the employment relationship must be expired and re-established. Find out more about changes in Employment status. To initiate a change in tracking mode proceed as follows:
- Click on the name of the employee in the user list and click through to the employment terms screen.
- Enter the effective date or the date of termination, record the reason and click on the "Expire" button. Click through to the final screen and save.
- From the user list click the "New Period" button on the far right for this employee to create the new term. The starting date for the new period is created automatically and consists of the expiry date + 1 day.
- Adjust the tracking type and the working week in the corresponding section (for example, part-time and the corresponding quota in%) and confirm the remaining screens.
Please check out this tutorial video illustrating above points step by step. Still unsure? please contact us. We are happy to help.